Saturday, August 29, 2009

And Then There Was 10

I am feeling a little insecure about my job at the moment. Only having ten boy's in your dorm can do that. Ten you say? Yes ten, and thats not just one floor. I have just ten in the whole bloody dorm. I wonder if that is a record, sure must be close. I also have a full time assistant this year. We have an amazing 1-5 ratio. What school can offer that? Boom. People have told me I must have it so easy. In some ways they are right, but no matter what the number your hours are still the same and your responsibilities don't change. Managing ten is always easier than 50, but lights out at 11:00 is still 11:00. And to my defense I do have one student that counts for five. He is a hyperactive, mood swinging, self-destructive maniac. Gotta love him. He manages to hurt himself or do something stupid at least once a day. He probably spends more time in my office getting in trouble than he does in his own room. But he has a big heart, and will hopefully grow up someday. The other nine range from quiet to loud, from big to small, from white to black. They are handling the fewer numbers well. They have a 2-1 ratio with the girls, so they are living large with that. It does make it hard to get enough to play sports. We almost couldn't get enough to play football the other night. Thought it might be the end of the world. And the poor guys really can't get away with skipping anything. Counting to 20 might be a bit hard for me, but I know I can get to 10.

So back to the original issue of feeling bad about the low number. God has something in store for us this year. I have no idea what it is, and hopefully I won't be so concerned with figures that I miss it. No matter the number these boys still need all the love and care I can give them. They are a great group and I know we can have an awesome year. Definitely gonna have to come back and read that last part at some point.

1 comment:

  1. I agree completely. May need a reminder once or twice myself. Good post.

    ReplyDelete