Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Basterds

3 stars out 5
I love movies and watch a good amount of them. On my blog I would like to discuss a few of them and give my whack and warped ideas. Of which most are probably wrong but nobody is making you agree. So I will start my first movie post with a discussion about Inglourious Basterds. Yes that is spelled incorrectly, Tarantino does that crap. I was not sure what to expect with this movie. As with most movies the previews looked so promising. But being a Quentin Tarantino film I was unsure what weird stunt he was gonna pull to make it a freak show. Although I thought he stayed on course pretty good, I'm still not sure how much I like the movie. I was led to believe that this was a movie about Amercian-Jewish soldiers hunting Nazi's. They only actual hunting part you saw in the previews. That I believe is one of the biggest strikes against it. The other being that it was surprisingly slow moving. Very dialogue dominated, which is not a bad thing, just not what was advertised. I'm also a little squimish with a lot of blood and didn't like the scalping and head bashing very much, but I knew that going in. My own fault there. It was also very hard to get to know any of the "basterds". They had next to no lines and were barely there before they died. The movie I felt was not actually about the "basterds" but about a revengeful young women who had her family murdered by the Nazi's.
Enough of the bad, the very surprising best part of the movie was the SS Col. Landa, who simply stole the show. This is the part of the movie I did like. The Colonel was brillant is being a monster who in the end sold out. You really didn't think that such a man would betray Germany but he did. And I stated earlier that Tarantino didn't do anything to crazy but I guess he did. Historical movies are good, but you always know how they turn out because it already happened. Tarantino said f*#k that and wrote his own ending. One that everyone wished would have happened, which is the death of Hitler and the Nazi leaders. Loved it. Pretty much everyone dies, but the Colonel does get appropriately carved upon at the end. Good ending. Alright movie. Not bad Tarantino. I gave it three stars cuz the way Hitler dies, he didn't get to go out the easy with himself pulling the trigger. But almost took all of them back with Mike Myers as a British Officer. Lame.
This is my first movie review and I understand its needs some work. They will get better.

2 comments:

  1. You liked it cuz Hitler died in the end, just like everyone wished would have happened? You know Hitler did die before the end of WWII, right? He's not hiding in a cave somewhere doing body shots off of Bin Laden's butt crack. You do know that right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes my dear caleb, hitler does die. although it is in a bunker instead of a movie theater and he does it himself instead of being blow to bits. he also dies after its to late to stop his tirade on the world. at least in the movie someone gets to him and ends the war sooner. that was my point, but good looking out.

    ReplyDelete