Monday, September 7, 2009

Bradford, McCoy, or Tebow

One never knows how a season will play itself out. So talking about a next years top QB's for the draft might be a bit premature. But I have no confidence in either Orton or Simms as QB's of the future for the Broncos. So I will prematurely discuss it anyways. I must also add in another name to that list with Snead from Ole Miss. According to the draft board it goes Bradford, Snead, McCoy, and then Tebow in terms of NFL potential. I know next to nothing about Snead so we will throw him out of the discussion.

Bradford 2008 Stats: 4720 yards, 50 tds, 8 int, 67% comp., 180 passer rating
2008 Heisman Trophy Winner
Bradford is a very talented football player. He came into Oklahoma as a true freshman and played great. 36 tds as a freshman is very impressive. Then last year he went off for 50 tds and the lead one of the most prolific offenses college football has ever seen. Many people have questioned his toughness and I am one of those. Of course you say, cuz he just got hurt, but I did have that opinion before. Last year he dropped back for a pass some 550 times and was only touched 40 some times. Not sure on the exact numbers but those are close. That is unheard of in football and especially the NFL. The first game this season it was proved he is a bit fragile getting hit several times before landing awkwardly on his throwing shoulder. They don't know how long he will be out. He has great upside. Accurate, decently mobile, smart, and throws a beautiful ball. The biggest question is toughness and durability.

McCoy 2008 stats: 3859 yards, 34 tds, 8 ints, 76% comp., 173 passer rating
Rusing: 561 yards, 11 tds
2008 Heisman runner-up
McCoy is a scrapper. I really like this guy. Texas is a great program but has really struggled with a running game the last couple of years. McCoy led them is passing and rushing last year. He has been hit and delivered several hits of his one. He is completely fearless, and of the three the most is expected of him to carry his team. Bradford and Tebow have ridiculous talent around. McCoy does have Shipley, but that's about it for top tier talent that Tebow and Bradford have to work with. He is not as accurate as Bradford or as mobile as Tebow, but he brings a nice combination of both. I believe he will translate very nicely to playing on Sundays. (Although the numbers say he is more accurate, most agree that Bradford is the more consistent thrower).

Tebow 2008 stats: 2746 yards, 30 tds, 4 ints, 64% comp., 172 passer rating
Rushing: 673 yards, 12 tds( don't forget that he threw for 32 tds and ran for 23 in 2007)
2007 Heisman Trophy Winner
Tim Tebow might be a bit overrated, but I don't care. I love the guy. He is built like a fullback and his very shifty and mobile for his size. He is almost impossible for one player to bring down. He is a proven leader and one of the best locker rooms guys ever. I am not in love with his arm or accuracy. He does very well in an offense that hides some of his inefficiencies. He rarely just drops back in the pocket and throws the ball. Florida constently has him moving around, which he is very good at. Just don't know how that will translate to the pros. I just love the guy's character, leadership, and how he handles himself. And he is a heck of a football player.

So what does that all mean. It means that I like all of them, and if it means getting one of them in a Bronco uniform it might not be such a bad season of sucking. If I was to pick one right now, I would go with McCoy. I am sure I will go back and forth all year long. McCoy is just a winner with a lot of grit and pose. One thing about Bradford is that I can totally see him as a Tom Brady is Josh McDaniels offensive scheme. McCoy just has some of those intangables that I like. Tebow, although I really like him, doesn't really fit into what the Broncos are trying to develop. I could be wrong on all of this, probably am, but right now I am wanting the Broncos to draft Colt McCoy in next years draft. Although will we probably have given all our draft picks to the Patriots for some unknown reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment